A Virginia English teacher has been suspended for allegedly telling a black student to read a poem with a "blacker" delivery. Ninth-grader Jordan Shumate claims teacher Marilyn Bart interrupted his reading of Langston Hughes' "Ballad of a Landlord," and said, "Blacker, Jordan — c'mon, blacker. I thought you were black." Bart allegedly finished the poem herself, sounding, in Shumate's words, "like a slave, basically."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
Subscribe to the Week