A Virginia English teacher has been suspended for allegedly telling a black student to read a poem with a "blacker" delivery. Ninth-grader Jordan Shumate claims teacher Marilyn Bart interrupted his reading of Langston Hughes' "Ballad of a Landlord," and said, "Blacker, Jordan — c'mon, blacker. I thought you were black." Bart allegedly finished the poem herself, sounding, in Shumate's words, "like a slave, basically."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week