Tampa officials have released a list of items considered a security threat during the Republican National Convention in August, including water pistols, masks, and even pieces of string. Firearms are not on the list. State gun laws prohibit any local restriction on the carrying of guns. "If we'd tried to regulate guns, it wouldn't have worked," says a city official.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
Subscribe to the Week