The suggestion that black Florida teen Trayvon Martin was shot dead in February by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman because Martin's hooded sweatshirt made him look like a criminal inspired a swift, angry backlash. Hundreds of thousands gathered in support of Martin at the Million Hoodie March, while Rep. Bobby Bush (D-Ill.) wore one while addressing Congress. The protest continues with this "Not a Threat!" hoodie ($48.35).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
Subscribe to the Week