The suggestion that black Florida teen Trayvon Martin was shot dead in February by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman because Martin's hooded sweatshirt made him look like a criminal inspired a swift, angry backlash. Hundreds of thousands gathered in support of Martin at the Million Hoodie March, while Rep. Bobby Bush (D-Ill.) wore one while addressing Congress. The protest continues with this "Not a Threat!" hoodie ($48.35).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The next pandemic
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week