A Minnesota man was jailed because he failed to complete the siding on his house. Mitch Faber says he spent $12,000 bringing his home's stucco exterior in line with zoning laws, but officials declared the work unsatisfactory and he was arrested and jailed for two days. "I had to shower in front of a sheriff," Faber says, and "my wrists were handcuffed to my waist — for siding."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week