A Minnesota man was jailed because he failed to complete the siding on his house. Mitch Faber says he spent $12,000 bringing his home's stucco exterior in line with zoning laws, but officials declared the work unsatisfactory and he was arrested and jailed for two days. "I had to shower in front of a sheriff," Faber says, and "my wrists were handcuffed to my waist — for siding."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
Subscribe to the Week