A Minnesota man was jailed because he failed to complete the siding on his house. Mitch Faber says he spent $12,000 bringing his home's stucco exterior in line with zoning laws, but officials declared the work unsatisfactory and he was arrested and jailed for two days. "I had to shower in front of a sheriff," Faber says, and "my wrists were handcuffed to my waist — for siding."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- 10 things you need to know today: August 20, 2014
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- The big policy question libertarians can't answer
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
Subscribe to the Week