Golden-era Detroit is making a surprise comeback in the world of high fashion. The slingback wedges in the new Real Fantasies collection from Prada ($1,450) make a winking reference to the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado and various James Dean–era hot rods. A shoe can't take us back in time to those heady days, but this one "drives masculine midcentury forces to feminine new heights." Its "hood ornament" — set just above the toes — is "a crystal-encrusted rose in full bloom." Source: Vogue
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Why America needs more billionaires
- 6 simple steps for making millions on a crappy horror movie
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week