Golden-era Detroit is making a surprise comeback in the world of high fashion. The slingback wedges in the new Real Fantasies collection from Prada ($1,450) make a winking reference to the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado and various James Dean–era hot rods. A shoe can't take us back in time to those heady days, but this one "drives masculine midcentury forces to feminine new heights." Its "hood ornament" — set just above the toes — is "a crystal-encrusted rose in full bloom." Source: Vogue
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
Subscribe to the Week