olden-era Detroit is making a surprise comeback in the world of high fashion. The slingback wedges in the new Real Fantasies collection from Prada ($1,450) make a winking reference to the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado and various James Dean–era hot rods. A shoe can't take us back in time to those heady days, but this one "drives masculine midcentury forces to feminine new heights." Its "hood ornament" — set just above the toes — is "a crystal-encrusted rose in full bloom." Source: Vogue
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week