Golden-era Detroit is making a surprise comeback in the world of high fashion. The slingback wedges in the new Real Fantasies collection from Prada ($1,450) make a winking reference to the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado and various James Dean–era hot rods. A shoe can't take us back in time to those heady days, but this one "drives masculine midcentury forces to feminine new heights." Its "hood ornament" — set just above the toes — is "a crystal-encrusted rose in full bloom." Source: Vogue
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week