Golden-era Detroit is making a surprise comeback in the world of high fashion. The slingback wedges in the new Real Fantasies collection from Prada ($1,450) make a winking reference to the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado and various James Dean–era hot rods. A shoe can't take us back in time to those heady days, but this one "drives masculine midcentury forces to feminine new heights." Its "hood ornament" — set just above the toes — is "a crystal-encrusted rose in full bloom." Source: Vogue
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
Subscribe to the Week