Weston, Fla. (population: 65,000), has outlawed dance halls, nightclubs, and skating rinks, even though it has none. Mayor Eric Hersh said a rise in nightlife-related crime throughout South Florida had convinced officials to adopt the pre-emptive ban. "This is something that we thought would protect the city," Hersh said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week