eston, Fla. (population: 65,000), has outlawed dance halls, nightclubs, and skating rinks, even though it has none. Mayor Eric Hersh said a rise in nightlife-related crime throughout South Florida had convinced officials to adopt the pre-emptive ban. "This is something that we thought would protect the city," Hersh said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week