Weston, Fla. (population: 65,000), has outlawed dance halls, nightclubs, and skating rinks, even though it has none. Mayor Eric Hersh said a rise in nightlife-related crime throughout South Florida had convinced officials to adopt the pre-emptive ban. "This is something that we thought would protect the city," Hersh said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
Subscribe to the Week