Weston, Fla. (population: 65,000), has outlawed dance halls, nightclubs, and skating rinks, even though it has none. Mayor Eric Hersh said a rise in nightlife-related crime throughout South Florida had convinced officials to adopt the pre-emptive ban. "This is something that we thought would protect the city," Hersh said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week