Weston, Fla. (population: 65,000), has outlawed dance halls, nightclubs, and skating rinks, even though it has none. Mayor Eric Hersh said a rise in nightlife-related crime throughout South Florida had convinced officials to adopt the pre-emptive ban. "This is something that we thought would protect the city," Hersh said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The science behind Captain America's shield, The Hulk's anger, and more
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week