A new Asian restaurant in West Palm Beach, Fla., has been denied a trademark on obscenity grounds. Owner Paul Ardaji says "Fuku" is a Japanese word meaning good fortune, wealth, and prosperity, but state officials said the name "includes immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter." Said Ardaji: "The state looks at things from a very narrow scope."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Israel's quiet doomsday submarines are almost ready
- How languages are like food
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week