A new Asian restaurant in West Palm Beach, Fla., has been denied a trademark on obscenity grounds. Owner Paul Ardaji says "Fuku" is a Japanese word meaning good fortune, wealth, and prosperity, but state officials said the name "includes immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter." Said Ardaji: "The state looks at things from a very narrow scope."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
When Americans banned Christmas
Subscribe to the Week