A new Asian restaurant in West Palm Beach, Fla., has been denied a trademark on obscenity grounds. Owner Paul Ardaji says "Fuku" is a Japanese word meaning good fortune, wealth, and prosperity, but state officials said the name "includes immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter." Said Ardaji: "The state looks at things from a very narrow scope."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
Subscribe to the Week