A new Asian restaurant in West Palm Beach, Fla., has been denied a trademark on obscenity grounds. Owner Paul Ardaji says "Fuku" is a Japanese word meaning good fortune, wealth, and prosperity, but state officials said the name "includes immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter." Said Ardaji: "The state looks at things from a very narrow scope."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week