A new Asian restaurant in West Palm Beach, Fla., has been denied a trademark on obscenity grounds. Owner Paul Ardaji says "Fuku" is a Japanese word meaning good fortune, wealth, and prosperity, but state officials said the name "includes immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter." Said Ardaji: "The state looks at things from a very narrow scope."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- How to make classic pulled pork
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
Subscribe to the Week