A high school nurse in Florida refused to let a student use his inhaler during an asthma attack because his mother hadn't signed the proper form. With the nurse looking on, Michael Rudi, 17, was suffocating when his mother arrived with an inhaler. The nurse "looked at me, and did nothing," said Rudi. "It's like something out of a horror film."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week