A high school nurse in Florida refused to let a student use his inhaler during an asthma attack because his mother hadn't signed the proper form. With the nurse looking on, Michael Rudi, 17, was suffocating when his mother arrived with an inhaler. The nurse "looked at me, and did nothing," said Rudi. "It's like something out of a horror film."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week