A high school nurse in Florida refused to let a student use his inhaler during an asthma attack because his mother hadn't signed the proper form. With the nurse looking on, Michael Rudi, 17, was suffocating when his mother arrived with an inhaler. The nurse "looked at me, and did nothing," said Rudi. "It's like something out of a horror film."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
Subscribe to the Week