A high school nurse in Florida refused to let a student use his inhaler during an asthma attack because his mother hadn't signed the proper form. With the nurse looking on, Michael Rudi, 17, was suffocating when his mother arrived with an inhaler. The nurse "looked at me, and did nothing," said Rudi. "It's like something out of a horror film."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
Subscribe to the Week