A high school nurse in Florida refused to let a student use his inhaler during an asthma attack because his mother hadn't signed the proper form. With the nurse looking on, Michael Rudi, 17, was suffocating when his mother arrived with an inhaler. The nurse "looked at me, and did nothing," said Rudi. "It's like something out of a horror film."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- California's epic drought
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week