Davis High School in Utah has been fined $15,000 because its vending machines dispensed soda during lunch. Federal nutrition guidelines allow schools to have vending machines, but ban sugary drinks with school meals. "You can buy a Coke before lunch, and consume it during lunch," a spokesman said, "but you can't buy a Coke during lunch."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
Subscribe to the Week