he principal of a New York City school has banned kindergarten students from singing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" at their graduation, on the grounds that "we don't want to offend other cultures." Her decision angered many parents. "A lot of people fought to move to America to live freely, so that song should be sung with a whole lot of pride," said parent Luz Lozada.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
Subscribe to the Week