The principal of a New York City school has banned kindergarten students from singing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" at their graduation, on the grounds that "we don't want to offend other cultures." Her decision angered many parents. "A lot of people fought to move to America to live freely, so that song should be sung with a whole lot of pride," said parent Luz Lozada.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week