he principal of a New York City school has banned kindergarten students from singing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" at their graduation, on the grounds that "we don't want to offend other cultures." Her decision angered many parents. "A lot of people fought to move to America to live freely, so that song should be sung with a whole lot of pride," said parent Luz Lozada.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
Subscribe to the Week