President Obama eats a cone of mint chocolate chip ice cream from Deb's Ice Cream and Deli in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on July 10. During the swing-state campaign stop, Obama reminded Iowans of his surprise 2008 caucus victory: "This was the state that gave me a chance when nobody else would." He also called on Iowa to "cut through the nonsense" of negative political ads, even though, as the Des Moines Register points out, he has aired more ads in the Hawkeye State than Mitt Romney — most of them attack ads.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- Barack Obama's futile attempt to be a modern-day George Washington
Subscribe to the Week