President Obama eats a cone of mint chocolate chip ice cream from Deb's Ice Cream and Deli in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on July 10. During the swing-state campaign stop, Obama reminded Iowans of his surprise 2008 caucus victory: "This was the state that gave me a chance when nobody else would." He also called on Iowa to "cut through the nonsense" of negative political ads, even though, as the Des Moines Register points out, he has aired more ads in the Hawkeye State than Mitt Romney — most of them attack ads.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Are hedge funds doomed?
Subscribe to the Week