resident Obama eats a cone of mint chocolate chip ice cream from Deb's Ice Cream and Deli in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on July 10. During the swing-state campaign stop, Obama reminded Iowans of his surprise 2008 caucus victory: "This was the state that gave me a chance when nobody else would." He also called on Iowa to "cut through the nonsense" of negative political ads, even though, as the Des Moines Register points out, he has aired more ads in the Hawkeye State than Mitt Romney — most of them attack ads.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week