Both President Obama and GOP challenger Mitt Romney canceled campaign events Friday after a gunman opened fire in a Colorado cinema screening The Dark Knight Rises, killing 12 people and wounding at least 50 others. A "deeply saddened" Romney says he expects "the person responsible will be quickly brought to justice." Meanwhile, President Obama held a moment of silence in Fort Myers, Fla., where he had planned to attend a campaign event. He called on Americans to pray for the victims' families, saying, "There will be other days for politics."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Why America needs more billionaires
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
Subscribe to the Week