Both President Obama and GOP challenger Mitt Romney canceled campaign events Friday after a gunman opened fire in a Colorado cinema screening The Dark Knight Rises, killing 12 people and wounding at least 50 others. A "deeply saddened" Romney says he expects "the person responsible will be quickly brought to justice." Meanwhile, President Obama held a moment of silence in Fort Myers, Fla., where he had planned to attend a campaign event. He called on Americans to pray for the victims' families, saying, "There will be other days for politics."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week