Both President Obama and GOP challenger Mitt Romney canceled campaign events Friday after a gunman opened fire in a Colorado cinema screening The Dark Knight Rises, killing 12 people and wounding at least 50 others. A "deeply saddened" Romney says he expects "the person responsible will be quickly brought to justice." Meanwhile, President Obama held a moment of silence in Fort Myers, Fla., where he had planned to attend a campaign event. He called on Americans to pray for the victims' families, saying, "There will be other days for politics."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- How Hillary Clinton's 'smart power' turned Libya into a dumpster fire
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
Subscribe to the Week