Both President Obama and GOP challenger Mitt Romney canceled campaign events Friday after a gunman opened fire in a Colorado cinema screening The Dark Knight Rises, killing 12 people and wounding at least 50 others. A "deeply saddened" Romney says he expects "the person responsible will be quickly brought to justice." Meanwhile, President Obama held a moment of silence in Fort Myers, Fla., where he had planned to attend a campaign event. He called on Americans to pray for the victims' families, saying, "There will be other days for politics."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week