A bar in Mankato, Minnesota has installed a machine that dispenses pregnancy tests in its women's bathroom. It took Pub 5000 owner Tom Frederik "about 30 seconds to say yes" to the idea, which was proposed by a regular customer who happens to be an expert in fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. With a swipe of a debit card, bar-goers can make sure they don't have a bun in the oven before downing some brews. Hmm, says Meredith Carroll at Babble, "I still think a condom machine might be even more effective."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How I lost all my money
- The best books we read in 2014
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to wrap a present with mathematical precision (and waste less paper)
Subscribe to the Week