A bar in Mankato, Minnesota has installed a machine that dispenses pregnancy tests in its women's bathroom. It took Pub 5000 owner Tom Frederik "about 30 seconds to say yes" to the idea, which was proposed by a regular customer who happens to be an expert in fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. With a swipe of a debit card, bar-goers can make sure they don't have a bun in the oven before downing some brews. Hmm, says Meredith Carroll at Babble, "I still think a condom machine might be even more effective."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week