verglades City, Fla., airboat captain Wallace Weatherholt was giving a tour of the Everglades to a vacationing Indiana family when he decided to hold a fish above the water's surface to lure a 9-foot gator. The snapping reptile jumped out of the water to take the bait — and took Weatherholt's hand with it. And as if the loss of his hand wasn't enough, the 63-year-old Floridian was also slapped with a misdemeanor charge — for unlawful feeding of an alligator.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- The secrets of happy families
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
- Why America's new love affair with saving is not great economic news
Subscribe to the Week