A Mississippi couple was barred from getting wed in a predominantly white church because they are black. Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson had already mailed out invitations when the pastor told them his Baptist congregation had decided that "no black could be married at the church." The Wilsons were married elsewhere, but expressed shock over such bigotry from people "who call themselves Christians."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Surviving a plane crash
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Lauren Bacall's remarkably honest account of Humphrey Bogart's death
Subscribe to the Week