A Mississippi couple was barred from getting wed in a predominantly white church because they are black. Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson had already mailed out invitations when the pastor told them his Baptist congregation had decided that "no black could be married at the church." The Wilsons were married elsewhere, but expressed shock over such bigotry from people "who call themselves Christians."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 10 things you need to know today: August 30, 2014
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Girls on Film: Belle is one of the most groundbreaking, joyous movies of the summer
- Barack Obama's futile attempt to be a modern-day George Washington
Subscribe to the Week