When Seth Horvitz received a package from Amazon.com, the Washington, D.C., resident assumed it was the high-definition television he'd ordered through a third-party seller on Amazon a few days prior. Surprise: Instead of offering a crisper way to view Modern Family, the box contained a 7.6-pound, 37-inch-long Sig Sauer SIG716 assault rifle. "When I realized it as an assault rifle, it was pure shock and disbelief," Horvitz told Wired. Since such weapons are illegal in D.C., Horvitz promptly called the police, who confiscated the gun.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
Subscribe to the Week