When Seth Horvitz received a package from Amazon.com, the Washington, D.C., resident assumed it was the high-definition television he'd ordered through a third-party seller on Amazon a few days prior. Surprise: Instead of offering a crisper way to view Modern Family, the box contained a 7.6-pound, 37-inch-long Sig Sauer SIG716 assault rifle. "When I realized it as an assault rifle, it was pure shock and disbelief," Horvitz told Wired. Since such weapons are illegal in D.C., Horvitz promptly called the police, who confiscated the gun.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week