When Seth Horvitz received a package from Amazon.com, the Washington, D.C., resident assumed it was the high-definition television he'd ordered through a third-party seller on Amazon a few days prior. Surprise: Instead of offering a crisper way to view Modern Family, the box contained a 7.6-pound, 37-inch-long Sig Sauer SIG716 assault rifle. "When I realized it as an assault rifle, it was pure shock and disbelief," Horvitz told Wired. Since such weapons are illegal in D.C., Horvitz promptly called the police, who confiscated the gun.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
Subscribe to the Week