President Obama and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, right, inspect drought-damaged corn on the McIntosh Family Farm in Iowa with members of the McIntosh family on Aug. 13. In a speech at the 96-year-old farm, Obama said that the family has "seen just about everything, but this is the worst drought they can remember in decades."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- There's a raging Islamic insurgency in Thailand's strangest party town
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- New York City's police unions need to get a grip
- The 5 most important developments in climate change in 2014
- How one woman is standing up for India's abused husbands
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- The secret histories of 6 ubiquitous American foods
- The best books we read in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week