President Obama and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, right, inspect drought-damaged corn on the McIntosh Family Farm in Iowa with members of the McIntosh family on Aug. 13. In a speech at the 96-year-old farm, Obama said that the family has "seen just about everything, but this is the worst drought they can remember in decades."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 5 words that are spelled weirdly because someone got the etymology wrong
Subscribe to the Week