An Oregon man has been jailed for 30 days for collecting water in three ponds on his property. Gary Harrington argued that, while a 1925 law gives the city of Medford the right to all local "core sources of water," that surely didn't include the rain falling on his ranch. But a court disagreed. "I'm sacrificing my liberty so we can stand up as a country," Harrington said as he entered jail.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week