An Oregon man has been jailed for 30 days for collecting water in three ponds on his property. Gary Harrington argued that, while a 1925 law gives the city of Medford the right to all local "core sources of water," that surely didn't include the rain falling on his ranch. But a court disagreed. "I'm sacrificing my liberty so we can stand up as a country," Harrington said as he entered jail.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week