n Oregon man has been jailed for 30 days for collecting water in three ponds on his property. Gary Harrington argued that, while a 1925 law gives the city of Medford the right to all local "core sources of water," that surely didn't include the rain falling on his ranch. But a court disagreed. "I'm sacrificing my liberty so we can stand up as a country," Harrington said as he entered jail.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
Subscribe to the Week