An Oregon man has been jailed for 30 days for collecting water in three ponds on his property. Gary Harrington argued that, while a 1925 law gives the city of Medford the right to all local "core sources of water," that surely didn't include the rain falling on his ranch. But a court disagreed. "I'm sacrificing my liberty so we can stand up as a country," Harrington said as he entered jail.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in November
Subscribe to the Week