n Oregon man has been jailed for 30 days for collecting water in three ponds on his property. Gary Harrington argued that, while a 1925 law gives the city of Medford the right to all local "core sources of water," that surely didn't include the rain falling on his ranch. But a court disagreed. "I'm sacrificing my liberty so we can stand up as a country," Harrington said as he entered jail.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week