Paul Ryan still lives in Janesville, Wis. (population: 64,000), where he was born and raised. And now that the boyish congressman is Mitt Romney's GOP running mate, he's welcoming some new friends into the neighborhood: Secret Service agents. Here, an agent monitors Ryan's six-bedroom home — built in 1928, valued at $459,000, and purchased by Ryan in 2010. The Secret Service has also placed barricades at several nearby intersections, and warned passersby that they are "subject to search."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Dean Koontz's 5 favorite books
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week