Paul Ryan still lives in Janesville, Wis. (population: 64,000), where he was born and raised. And now that the boyish congressman is Mitt Romney's GOP running mate, he's welcoming some new friends into the neighborhood: Secret Service agents. Here, an agent monitors Ryan's six-bedroom home — built in 1928, valued at $459,000, and purchased by Ryan in 2010. The Secret Service has also placed barricades at several nearby intersections, and warned passersby that they are "subject to search."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week