Paul Ryan still lives in Janesville, Wis. (population: 64,000), where he was born and raised. And now that the boyish congressman is Mitt Romney's GOP running mate, he's welcoming some new friends into the neighborhood: Secret Service agents. Here, an agent monitors Ryan's six-bedroom home — built in 1928, valued at $459,000, and purchased by Ryan in 2010. The Secret Service has also placed barricades at several nearby intersections, and warned passersby that they are "subject to search."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
Subscribe to the Week