ebraska 3-year-old Hunter Spanjer is deaf, so he communicates his name by signing with a hand gesture. But Hunter's school believes that the official sign for his name, which is made by waving his hands with crossed and pointed fingers, too closely resembles a gun, and is therefore in violation of the school's strict no-weapons policy. "This is absolutely ridiculous," Hunter's grandmother told a local news station. School officials say they will not discuss the matter publicly, but are working with Hunter's parents on a compromise.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
Subscribe to the Week