he Bang lamp ($299) from Bitplay is "as useful as the Clapper, but much cooler and more fun." Instead of clapping your hands to turn this sleek, modern-looking light on and off, you aim a pistol-shaped remote control toward it and pull the trigger. "Not only does your sharpshootin' shut the lamp off, it knocks the shade to the side as if you've hit the mark." Pull the trigger a second time and the shade goes back into place as the bulb lights. You can also practice your long range: The remote works at distances up to 49 feet. Source: Gizmag.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why you're probably drinking your beer all wrong
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week