The Bang lamp ($299) from Bitplay is "as useful as the Clapper, but much cooler and more fun." Instead of clapping your hands to turn this sleek, modern-looking light on and off, you aim a pistol-shaped remote control toward it and pull the trigger. "Not only does your sharpshootin' shut the lamp off, it knocks the shade to the side as if you've hit the mark." Pull the trigger a second time and the shade goes back into place as the bulb lights. You can also practice your long range: The remote works at distances up to 49 feet. Source: Gizmag.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week