The United Nations has denied it has plans to invade Texas. Lubbock County Judge Tom Head recently charged in a TV interview that if President Obama won re-election, he would "hand over sovereignty of the U.S. to the U.N.," and send in "U.N. troops with the little blue beanies." A spokesman for U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon denied there's any takeover plot, adding, "Not even the United Nations would mess with Texas."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why America needs more billionaires
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
Subscribe to the Week