The United Nations has denied it has plans to invade Texas. Lubbock County Judge Tom Head recently charged in a TV interview that if President Obama won re-election, he would "hand over sovereignty of the U.S. to the U.N.," and send in "U.N. troops with the little blue beanies." A spokesman for U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon denied there's any takeover plot, adding, "Not even the United Nations would mess with Texas."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- California's epic drought
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week