Burlington, Vt., restaurants are adding 18 percent to the bills of French-speaking diners, on the grounds that Quebecers are "bad tippers." Restaurant owner Sandy Kong defended the practice, saying, "Some Canadians come in, they spend like $100 or $150, and they leave the waitstaff maybe a $1 tip."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week