urlington, Vt., restaurants are adding 18 percent to the bills of French-speaking diners, on the grounds that Quebecers are "bad tippers." Restaurant owner Sandy Kong defended the practice, saying, "Some Canadians come in, they spend like $100 or $150, and they leave the waitstaff maybe a $1 tip."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week