Burlington, Vt., restaurants are adding 18 percent to the bills of French-speaking diners, on the grounds that Quebecers are "bad tippers." Restaurant owner Sandy Kong defended the practice, saying, "Some Canadians come in, they spend like $100 or $150, and they leave the waitstaff maybe a $1 tip."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week