Burlington, Vt., restaurants are adding 18 percent to the bills of French-speaking diners, on the grounds that Quebecers are "bad tippers." Restaurant owner Sandy Kong defended the practice, saying, "Some Canadians come in, they spend like $100 or $150, and they leave the waitstaff maybe a $1 tip."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week