Burlington, Vt., restaurants are adding 18 percent to the bills of French-speaking diners, on the grounds that Quebecers are "bad tippers." Restaurant owner Sandy Kong defended the practice, saying, "Some Canadians come in, they spend like $100 or $150, and they leave the waitstaff maybe a $1 tip."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Pope Francis says half of marriages today are invalid. He's wrong.
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
Subscribe to the Week