First Lady Michelle Obama gets her makeup refreshed prior to a Sept. 3 interview leading up to the kickoff of the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C. On Sept. 4, Mrs. Obama wowed Democratic delegates and TV viewers nationwide with a deeply personal speech that shined a light on her husband's values. "Being president doesn't change who you are," she said. "It reveals who you are."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week