Some parents will never accept that their kids are gay. Even when they're dead. New York City businessman Frank Mandelbaum set aside a trust fund for his son's child on one condition: That his son, Robert, be "married to the child's mother within six months of the child's birth." The problem? The 47-year-old Robert is already happily married to a spouse who happens to be a man. (Their child was born of a surrogate.) Robert is challenging his father's will as discriminatory.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week