In the world of fashion, "there's good weird and there's bad weird." Designer Martin Margiela is "generally agreed to be great weird." Some may scoff at the exorbitant price of his new Paint Splatter Sneakers ($525), considering that they look like low-tops previously worn by a sloppy jungle-gym painter. But "people who spend a lot of time thinking about clothes, looking at clothes, and wanting to look different" find such studied oddness "über-chic." Kanye West even gave Margiela a shout-out in a hit song last year. Source: BuzzFeed
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- 10 things you need to know today: September 20, 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week