n the world of fashion, "there's good weird and there's bad weird." Designer Martin Margiela is "generally agreed to be great weird." Some may scoff at the exorbitant price of his new Paint Splatter Sneakers ($525), considering that they look like low-tops previously worn by a sloppy jungle-gym painter. But "people who spend a lot of time thinking about clothes, looking at clothes, and wanting to look different" find such studied oddness "über-chic." Kanye West even gave Margiela a shout-out in a hit song last year. Source: BuzzFeed
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week