In the world of fashion, "there's good weird and there's bad weird." Designer Martin Margiela is "generally agreed to be great weird." Some may scoff at the exorbitant price of his new Paint Splatter Sneakers ($525), considering that they look like low-tops previously worn by a sloppy jungle-gym painter. But "people who spend a lot of time thinking about clothes, looking at clothes, and wanting to look different" find such studied oddness "über-chic." Kanye West even gave Margiela a shout-out in a hit song last year. Source: BuzzFeed
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week