In the world of fashion, "there's good weird and there's bad weird." Designer Martin Margiela is "generally agreed to be great weird." Some may scoff at the exorbitant price of his new Paint Splatter Sneakers ($525), considering that they look like low-tops previously worn by a sloppy jungle-gym painter. But "people who spend a lot of time thinking about clothes, looking at clothes, and wanting to look different" find such studied oddness "über-chic." Kanye West even gave Margiela a shout-out in a hit song last year. Source: BuzzFeed
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- The mechanized future of warfare
Subscribe to the Week