he Cranston, R.I., school district had put the kibosh on traditional father-daughter dances and mother-son baseball games, arguing that they violate state gender-discrimination laws. The ACLU had filed a complaint from a single mother whose daughter was barred from a father-daughter dance, and upon review, the superintendent agreed with the complaint. Some parents disagree. This is "complete political correctness run amok," says GOP state Senate candidate Sean Gately.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- How rain helped the Mongols conquer Asia
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- 10 things you need to know today: March 12, 2014
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Poll: Twice as many Americans say sugar is more harmful than marijuana
- How the U.S.'s obsession with cars is hurting the middle class
Subscribe to the Week