he Cranston, R.I., school district had put the kibosh on traditional father-daughter dances and mother-son baseball games, arguing that they violate state gender-discrimination laws. The ACLU had filed a complaint from a single mother whose daughter was barred from a father-daughter dance, and upon review, the superintendent agreed with the complaint. Some parents disagree. This is "complete political correctness run amok," says GOP state Senate candidate Sean Gately.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- When will the Big One strike California?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
Subscribe to the Week