The Cranston, R.I., school district had put the kibosh on traditional father-daughter dances and mother-son baseball games, arguing that they violate state gender-discrimination laws. The ACLU had filed a complaint from a single mother whose daughter was barred from a father-daughter dance, and upon review, the superintendent agreed with the complaint. Some parents disagree. This is "complete political correctness run amok," says GOP state Senate candidate Sean Gately.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
Subscribe to the Week