The Cranston, R.I., school district had put the kibosh on traditional father-daughter dances and mother-son baseball games, arguing that they violate state gender-discrimination laws. The ACLU had filed a complaint from a single mother whose daughter was barred from a father-daughter dance, and upon review, the superintendent agreed with the complaint. Some parents disagree. This is "complete political correctness run amok," says GOP state Senate candidate Sean Gately.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
Subscribe to the Week