A suburban New York man spent $50,000 building an elite Little League team after another team dropped his son. Robert Sanfilippo recruited stars to play with his son on the "Long Island Vengeance," whose helmets were embossed with a skull-and-crossbones. "It was all about revenge," a rival coach said. Sanfilippo was recently charged with sending threatening messages to a coach whose son struck out Sanfilippo's son.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week