Workers set up the stage at the University of Denver on Oct. 1, ahead of the first presidential debate between President Obama and Mitt Romney, scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Oct. 3. Obama's traveling press secretary, in an obvious attempt to lower expectations, has half-jokingly raised the possibility that in a worst-case scenario, the president might fall off this stage.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week