Workers set up the stage at the University of Denver on Oct. 1, ahead of the first presidential debate between President Obama and Mitt Romney, scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Oct. 3. Obama's traveling press secretary, in an obvious attempt to lower expectations, has half-jokingly raised the possibility that in a worst-case scenario, the president might fall off this stage.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week