Tamon Robinson, a 27-year-old Brooklyn man, was struck and killed by a cop car while fleeing the police, who caught him stealing cobblestones from his housing project. Now, Robinson's mother is being billed $710 by the New York City Police to repair the dent Tamon's body left in the squad car. "We're still grieving, and this is like a slap in the face," Laverne Dobbinson told New York's Daily News. "It's crazy."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week