Forget those pesky bike chains that annoyingly catch and tear at your jeans. The Mando Footloose, a sleek and compact electric bicycle, ditches the chain and uses the pedals to generate electricity that powers a motor. Basically, says Andrew Liszewski at Gizmodo, this is "the bicycle equivalent of the Chevy Volt." Too tired to pedal? The motor alone can power the bike for nearly 19 miles, and once you've arrived at your destination, the Footloose, whose price has yet to be announced, even folds up for easy carrying.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week