A congressman who sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology has dismissed "evolution, embryology, and big bang theory" as "lies from the pit of hell." Speaking to a church group, Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.) said that the Earth is only 9,000 years old, and that science keeps people "from understanding that they need a savior."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
Subscribe to the Week