A congressman who sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology has dismissed "evolution, embryology, and big bang theory" as "lies from the pit of hell." Speaking to a church group, Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.) said that the Earth is only 9,000 years old, and that science keeps people "from understanding that they need a savior."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How I lost all my money
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Ismail Kadare's 6 favorite books
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
Subscribe to the Week