In an apparent homage to the cast of MTV's Jersey Shore, unemployed Ohio electrician James Peterson, 34, decided to fist-pump his way around the University of Akron for some 16 straight hours in May 2012. Peterson was so serious about the challenge that he super glued his right hand into the proper form. Unfortunately, the super glue gave out around the 15-hour mark. The self-proclaimed "veteran fist-pumper" made it another hour before calling it quits. He now holds the record for longest individual fist-pump.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why America needs more billionaires
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
Subscribe to the Week