jewelry store in North Henry, Iowa, is offering a "buy an engagement ring, get a free shotgun" deal through October. Harold van Beek, owner of Jewelry by Harold, says he wanted to "do something for the boy who doesn't like to hunt for diamonds but likes to hunt for deer." Customers spending at least $1,999 will get a voucher for a Remington 870 hunting rifle, history's best-selling shotgun. "Perhaps this deal will make it the most romantic one, as well," says Terri Pous at TIME. Felons and addicts, however lovestruck, will be barred from partaking in the deal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
Subscribe to the Week