A jewelry store in North Henry, Iowa, is offering a "buy an engagement ring, get a free shotgun" deal through October. Harold van Beek, owner of Jewelry by Harold, says he wanted to "do something for the boy who doesn't like to hunt for diamonds but likes to hunt for deer." Customers spending at least $1,999 will get a voucher for a Remington 870 hunting rifle, history's best-selling shotgun. "Perhaps this deal will make it the most romantic one, as well," says Terri Pous at TIME. Felons and addicts, however lovestruck, will be barred from partaking in the deal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
Subscribe to the Week