A jewelry store in North Henry, Iowa, is offering a "buy an engagement ring, get a free shotgun" deal through October. Harold van Beek, owner of Jewelry by Harold, says he wanted to "do something for the boy who doesn't like to hunt for diamonds but likes to hunt for deer." Customers spending at least $1,999 will get a voucher for a Remington 870 hunting rifle, history's best-selling shotgun. "Perhaps this deal will make it the most romantic one, as well," says Terri Pous at TIME. Felons and addicts, however lovestruck, will be barred from partaking in the deal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week