A jewelry store in North Henry, Iowa, is offering a "buy an engagement ring, get a free shotgun" deal through October. Harold van Beek, owner of Jewelry by Harold, says he wanted to "do something for the boy who doesn't like to hunt for diamonds but likes to hunt for deer." Customers spending at least $1,999 will get a voucher for a Remington 870 hunting rifle, history's best-selling shotgun. "Perhaps this deal will make it the most romantic one, as well," says Terri Pous at TIME. Felons and addicts, however lovestruck, will be barred from partaking in the deal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week