A jewelry store in North Henry, Iowa, is offering a "buy an engagement ring, get a free shotgun" deal through October. Harold van Beek, owner of Jewelry by Harold, says he wanted to "do something for the boy who doesn't like to hunt for diamonds but likes to hunt for deer." Customers spending at least $1,999 will get a voucher for a Remington 870 hunting rifle, history's best-selling shotgun. "Perhaps this deal will make it the most romantic one, as well," says Terri Pous at TIME. Felons and addicts, however lovestruck, will be barred from partaking in the deal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week