group of San Diego parents are threatening to sue Encinitas Union School District for providing free yoga classes to its elementary school students. An attorney for the parents claims that teaching Asthanga yoga to students is an automatic endorsement of Hinduism, despite the fact that the lessons focus on meditation, breathing techniques, and yoga poses. Given the increasing amount of stress kids are under these days, says Lindsay Cross at Mommyish, "I think the idea of teaching them a healthy relaxation technique is really wonderful." Too bad we can't say om and let it go.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- How to flirt, according to science
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- How any actor (even a really nice one) can play a truly evil villain like King Joffrey
Subscribe to the Week