A group of San Diego parents are threatening to sue Encinitas Union School District for providing free yoga classes to its elementary school students. An attorney for the parents claims that teaching Asthanga yoga to students is an automatic endorsement of Hinduism, despite the fact that the lessons focus on meditation, breathing techniques, and yoga poses. Given the increasing amount of stress kids are under these days, says Lindsay Cross at Mommyish, "I think the idea of teaching them a healthy relaxation technique is really wonderful." Too bad we can't say om and let it go.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
Subscribe to the Week