A group of San Diego parents are threatening to sue Encinitas Union School District for providing free yoga classes to its elementary school students. An attorney for the parents claims that teaching Asthanga yoga to students is an automatic endorsement of Hinduism, despite the fact that the lessons focus on meditation, breathing techniques, and yoga poses. Given the increasing amount of stress kids are under these days, says Lindsay Cross at Mommyish, "I think the idea of teaching them a healthy relaxation technique is really wonderful." Too bad we can't say om and let it go.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 10 things you need to know today: August 30, 2014
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The week's best photojournalism
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
Subscribe to the Week