group of San Diego parents are threatening to sue Encinitas Union School District for providing free yoga classes to its elementary school students. An attorney for the parents claims that teaching Asthanga yoga to students is an automatic endorsement of Hinduism, despite the fact that the lessons focus on meditation, breathing techniques, and yoga poses. Given the increasing amount of stress kids are under these days, says Lindsay Cross at Mommyish, "I think the idea of teaching them a healthy relaxation technique is really wonderful." Too bad we can't say om and let it go.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week