group of San Diego parents are threatening to sue Encinitas Union School District for providing free yoga classes to its elementary school students. An attorney for the parents claims that teaching Asthanga yoga to students is an automatic endorsement of Hinduism, despite the fact that the lessons focus on meditation, breathing techniques, and yoga poses. Given the increasing amount of stress kids are under these days, says Lindsay Cross at Mommyish, "I think the idea of teaching them a healthy relaxation technique is really wonderful." Too bad we can't say om and let it go.
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
Did God have a wife?
- The 2014 World Cup draw: Team U.S.A. is screwed
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- 'Mexican Barbie' and 10 other controversial Barbies [Updated]
- The 13-year-old CEO who invented a cure for hiccups
- 10 things you need to know today: December 6, 2013
Subscribe to the Week