licia Richman didn't set out to beat the world record in donated breast milk. But she didn't just break the record — she obliterated it. After the birth of son Drake in March 2011, the Texas mom found she was producing more milk than Drake could consume. Richman began freezing the excess, but quickly ran out of space. So she turned to the Mother Milk Bank of North Texas. From June 2011 until March 2012, she ponied up 11,115 ounces, or 86.8 gallons. Shattering the last record of 23 gallons, Richman was officially recognized by Guinness in September.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
Subscribe to the Week