licia Richman didn't set out to beat the world record in donated breast milk. But she didn't just break the record — she obliterated it. After the birth of son Drake in March 2011, the Texas mom found she was producing more milk than Drake could consume. Richman began freezing the excess, but quickly ran out of space. So she turned to the Mother Milk Bank of North Texas. From June 2011 until March 2012, she ponied up 11,115 ounces, or 86.8 gallons. Shattering the last record of 23 gallons, Richman was officially recognized by Guinness in September.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
Subscribe to the Week