licia Richman didn't set out to beat the world record in donated breast milk. But she didn't just break the record — she obliterated it. After the birth of son Drake in March 2011, the Texas mom found she was producing more milk than Drake could consume. Richman began freezing the excess, but quickly ran out of space. So she turned to the Mother Milk Bank of North Texas. From June 2011 until March 2012, she ponied up 11,115 ounces, or 86.8 gallons. Shattering the last record of 23 gallons, Richman was officially recognized by Guinness in September.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week