President Obama walks through the rain on his way back to the West Wing of the White House on Oct. 29. The president canceled a Florida appearance Monday morning to remain in Washington to oversee the response to Hurricane Sandy, which has already begun to affect some 60 million people from North Carolina to Maine.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- How the owners of all 30 NBA teams made their money
Subscribe to the Week