President Obama walks through the rain on his way back to the West Wing of the White House on Oct. 29. The president canceled a Florida appearance Monday morning to remain in Washington to oversee the response to Hurricane Sandy, which has already begun to affect some 60 million people from North Carolina to Maine.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week