"Given that most young people are never without their smartphones," it only makes sense that one father of a college-age daughter finally turned a smartphone case into a self-defense device. The Spraytect smartphone case ($40) includes a mount for a pepper-spray canister, so if the owner points it at an assailant and fires, "habañero-fueled mayhem ensues." A safety clip on the canister prevents accidental discharges, so you're unlikely to end up blinding friends when trying to take a photo. For now, the case works only with iPhones. Source: Gizmag
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
Why is Obama still smoking?
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week