"Given that most young people are never without their smartphones," it only makes sense that one father of a college-age daughter finally turned a smartphone case into a self-defense device. The Spraytect smartphone case ($40) includes a mount for a pepper-spray canister, so if the owner points it at an assailant and fires, "habañero-fueled mayhem ensues." A safety clip on the canister prevents accidental discharges, so you're unlikely to end up blinding friends when trying to take a photo. For now, the case works only with iPhones. Source: Gizmag
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week