homeless man in Sarasota, Fla., was arrested and charged with "theft of utilities" for charging his cell phone at a park's picnic shelter. Darren Kersey spent the night in jail after failing to post the $500 bail. "Theft of utilities will not be tolerated in this economy," wrote Sgt. Anthony Frangioni in the police report, perhaps unaware that it costs a mere 41 cents to charge an iPhone for an entire year.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- The secrets of happy families
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: December 10, 2013
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
Subscribe to the Week