A newly erected Ten Commandments monument at the Oklahoma state capitol contains several typos. The ACLU complains that the 2,000-pound monument is an improper state endorsement of the Christian religion, but English pedants are also upset, as the word "Sabbath" is spelled "Sabbeth" on the monument, and "maidservant" is rendered "maidseruent."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week