Police ordered a Louisiana woman to take down Christmas lights she arranged in the shape of a hand "flipping the bird." Sarah Henderson admits the lights were designed to send a message to her neighbors, which the police deemed obscene. The ACLU objected, saying that in our Constitution, "even things like the raised middle finger are protected speech."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
Subscribe to the Week