Police ordered a Louisiana woman to take down Christmas lights she arranged in the shape of a hand "flipping the bird." Sarah Henderson admits the lights were designed to send a message to her neighbors, which the police deemed obscene. The ACLU objected, saying that in our Constitution, "even things like the raised middle finger are protected speech."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is Silicon Valley the new Versailles?
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
Subscribe to the Week