olice ordered a Louisiana woman to take down Christmas lights she arranged in the shape of a hand "flipping the bird." Sarah Henderson admits the lights were designed to send a message to her neighbors, which the police deemed obscene. The ACLU objected, saying that in our Constitution, "even things like the raised middle finger are protected speech."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week