alifornia taxpayers paid a prison psychiatrist $822,302 last year — five times more than the governor — and 92 other psychiatrists more than $300,000, a Bloomberg investigation found. As a result of a court order that compelled the state to improve inmate care, Dr. Mohammad Safi — who got his medical degree in Afghanistan — was on call 17 hours a day, including many weekends. "They ask me to work because there aren't enough people," Safi said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week