alifornia taxpayers paid a prison psychiatrist $822,302 last year — five times more than the governor — and 92 other psychiatrists more than $300,000, a Bloomberg investigation found. As a result of a court order that compelled the state to improve inmate care, Dr. Mohammad Safi — who got his medical degree in Afghanistan — was on call 17 hours a day, including many weekends. "They ask me to work because there aren't enough people," Safi said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week