alifornia taxpayers paid a prison psychiatrist $822,302 last year — five times more than the governor — and 92 other psychiatrists more than $300,000, a Bloomberg investigation found. As a result of a court order that compelled the state to improve inmate care, Dr. Mohammad Safi — who got his medical degree in Afghanistan — was on call 17 hours a day, including many weekends. "They ask me to work because there aren't enough people," Safi said.
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- The secrets of happy families
- Battle in a blizzard
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Did God have a wife?
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
Subscribe to the Week