After 13-year-old McKenna Pope's Change.org petition garnered more than 40,000 signatures, toy-maker Hasbro has agreed to release a gender-neutral version of its classic Easy-Bake Oven and include boys in its ads. McKenna says she was inspired to start the campaign after discovering that the Easy-Bake Oven she wanted give her 4-year-old brother for Christmas only came in pink and purple. "[Hasbro] really met most or even all of what I wanted to do, they really amazed me," she tells the AP.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why everyone got upset about Marriott's plan to increase housekeepers' pay
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week