After 13-year-old McKenna Pope's Change.org petition garnered more than 40,000 signatures, toy-maker Hasbro has agreed to release a gender-neutral version of its classic Easy-Bake Oven and include boys in its ads. McKenna says she was inspired to start the campaign after discovering that the Easy-Bake Oven she wanted give her 4-year-old brother for Christmas only came in pink and purple. "[Hasbro] really met most or even all of what I wanted to do, they really amazed me," she tells the AP.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- How to make classic pulled pork
Subscribe to the Week