Keith Allen Brown, currently incarcerated in the Idaho Correctional Institution for voluntary manslaughter, has spent almost 30 of his 52 years behind bars. Things might have been different if it weren't for alcohol. And that's why Brown and four fellow prisoners have filed a $1 billion lawsuit against beer and wine companies for not sufficiently warning them about booze. Not once in my life, Brown says, "was I ever informed that alcohol was habit forming and addictive."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week