Keith Allen Brown, currently incarcerated in the Idaho Correctional Institution for voluntary manslaughter, has spent almost 30 of his 52 years behind bars. Things might have been different if it weren't for alcohol. And that's why Brown and four fellow prisoners have filed a $1 billion lawsuit against beer and wine companies for not sufficiently warning them about booze. Not once in my life, Brown says, "was I ever informed that alcohol was habit forming and addictive."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week