When a 19-year-old South Carolina man allegedly darted from a convenience store with arms full of stolen snacks, beer, energy drinks, and cigarettes, he made the grave mistake of hauling more than he could carry, and he accidentally burst open a bag of Cheetos, leaving a trail of the neon-orange snacks behind. When the police searched a nearby neighborhood for a car they saw on a security video, they were tipped off to the suspect's whereabouts thanks to a pile of Cheetos on his porch. Austin Lee Wesfall Presler was arrested on charges of second-degree burglary and was later released on a $15,000 bond.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week