When a 19-year-old South Carolina man allegedly darted from a convenience store with arms full of stolen snacks, beer, energy drinks, and cigarettes, he made the grave mistake of hauling more than he could carry, and he accidentally burst open a bag of Cheetos, leaving a trail of the neon-orange snacks behind. When the police searched a nearby neighborhood for a car they saw on a security video, they were tipped off to the suspect's whereabouts thanks to a pile of Cheetos on his porch. Austin Lee Wesfall Presler was arrested on charges of second-degree burglary and was later released on a $15,000 bond.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
Subscribe to the Week