When a 19-year-old South Carolina man allegedly darted from a convenience store with arms full of stolen snacks, beer, energy drinks, and cigarettes, he made the grave mistake of hauling more than he could carry, and he accidentally burst open a bag of Cheetos, leaving a trail of the neon-orange snacks behind. When the police searched a nearby neighborhood for a car they saw on a security video, they were tipped off to the suspect's whereabouts thanks to a pile of Cheetos on his porch. Austin Lee Wesfall Presler was arrested on charges of second-degree burglary and was later released on a $15,000 bond.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week