aria Waltherr-Willard, 61, is suing her Cincinnati-area school district for violating an implied contract to keep her away from young kids. Waltherr-Willard, who quit in 2011, had taught high school French for more than 30 years before the district reassigned her to teach middle school Spanish. Since the 1990s, she has suffered from pedophobia, a fear of younger kids that causes anxiety, chest pains, vomiting, nightmares, and dangerously high blood pressure. "It's a tough phobia," says Dr. Caleb Adler.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week