Verizon claims to have caught an employee — "Bob" — outsourcing his daily coding duties to China so he could spend his time browsing Reddit, watching cat videos, and surfing eBay. Bob's bosses were tipped off when VPN logs showed Bob's log-in details being input from Shenyang, China. Apparently, Bob — who regularly received "excellent" performance reviews — pulled this scam on multiple companies at the same time. He was reportedly raking in a couple hundred thousand dollars annually. PDF invoices discovered on his computer reportedly show that he paid the Chinese firm $50,000 a year.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
Subscribe to the Week