ichael Drysch had the kind of night basketball fans can only dream of. The 50-year-old computer technician had been selected to attempt a half-court shot during a Miami Heat–Detroit Pistons game. When Drysch threw his long hook shot high into the air, the crowd groaned, then screamed in delight as the ball went in. Superstar LeBron James was so thrilled he ran to mid-court to congratulate Drysch, knocking him to the floor in an embrace. "I had made that shot something like 1 percent of the time in my life," said Drysch, who won $75,000 for his efforts.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week