ichael Drysch had the kind of night basketball fans can only dream of. The 50-year-old computer technician had been selected to attempt a half-court shot during a Miami Heat–Detroit Pistons game. When Drysch threw his long hook shot high into the air, the crowd groaned, then screamed in delight as the ball went in. Superstar LeBron James was so thrilled he ran to mid-court to congratulate Drysch, knocking him to the floor in an embrace. "I had made that shot something like 1 percent of the time in my life," said Drysch, who won $75,000 for his efforts.
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Was the sign-language interpreter at the Mandela memorial faking it?
- The last racial taboo
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How the Great Recession has changed the way we shop — even during the holidays
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
Subscribe to the Week