Thirty years ago, the Almeida family lost their beloved tortoise, Manuela. An extensive search came up short, and the Brazilian family sadly assumed their pet was gone for good. But in January, after the Almeida patriarch passed away, the family cleaned out dad's locked, second-floor storage unit and got a pleasant surprise. The Almeidas were piling boxes on the street for the garbage man to collect when a neighbor said, "You're not throwing out the turtle as well, are you?" Sure enough, it was Manuela — incredibly, alive and well.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why insects are the future of food
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The super-rich are just as miserable as the rest of us
Subscribe to the Week