Thirty years ago, the Almeida family lost their beloved tortoise, Manuela. An extensive search came up short, and the Brazilian family sadly assumed their pet was gone for good. But in January, after the Almeida patriarch passed away, the family cleaned out dad's locked, second-floor storage unit and got a pleasant surprise. The Almeidas were piling boxes on the street for the garbage man to collect when a neighbor said, "You're not throwing out the turtle as well, are you?" Sure enough, it was Manuela — incredibly, alive and well.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week