hirty years ago, the Almeida family lost their beloved tortoise, Manuela. An extensive search came up short, and the Brazilian family sadly assumed their pet was gone for good. But in January, after the Almeida patriarch passed away, the family cleaned out dad's locked, second-floor storage unit and got a pleasant surprise. The Almeidas were piling boxes on the street for the garbage man to collect when a neighbor said, "You're not throwing out the turtle as well, are you?" Sure enough, it was Manuela — incredibly, alive and well.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- The secrets of happy families
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- The U.S. auto bailout is officially over. Here's what America lost and gained.
- Yes, Obama and Raul Castro shook hands. No, you shouldn't freak out about it.
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
Subscribe to the Week