hirty years ago, the Almeida family lost their beloved tortoise, Manuela. An extensive search came up short, and the Brazilian family sadly assumed their pet was gone for good. But in January, after the Almeida patriarch passed away, the family cleaned out dad's locked, second-floor storage unit and got a pleasant surprise. The Almeidas were piling boxes on the street for the garbage man to collect when a neighbor said, "You're not throwing out the turtle as well, are you?" Sure enough, it was Manuela — incredibly, alive and well.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
Subscribe to the Week