When a lesbian couple in Oregon attempted to order a wedding cake from Sweet Cakes Bakery, they were denied service by the shop's owner, who said their union wasn't in "accordance with his religious beliefs." The couple's story got some press, and ended up attracting the attention of celebrity chef and Ace of Cakes star Duff Goldman, who offered via Twitter to bake them a tricked-out cake free of charge. "I saw this story and I was like, 'Wait — I can do something, there's injustice involving a cake!'" Goldman told HuffPost Live.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- How to live a long life, according to science
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week