When a lesbian couple in Oregon attempted to order a wedding cake from Sweet Cakes Bakery, they were denied service by the shop's owner, who said their union wasn't in "accordance with his religious beliefs." The couple's story got some press, and ended up attracting the attention of celebrity chef and Ace of Cakes star Duff Goldman, who offered via Twitter to bake them a tricked-out cake free of charge. "I saw this story and I was like, 'Wait — I can do something, there's injustice involving a cake!'" Goldman told HuffPost Live.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week