When a lesbian couple in Oregon attempted to order a wedding cake from Sweet Cakes Bakery, they were denied service by the shop's owner, who said their union wasn't in "accordance with his religious beliefs." The couple's story got some press, and ended up attracting the attention of celebrity chef and Ace of Cakes star Duff Goldman, who offered via Twitter to bake them a tricked-out cake free of charge. "I saw this story and I was like, 'Wait — I can do something, there's injustice involving a cake!'" Goldman told HuffPost Live.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week