When a lesbian couple in Oregon attempted to order a wedding cake from Sweet Cakes Bakery, they were denied service by the shop's owner, who said their union wasn't in "accordance with his religious beliefs." The couple's story got some press, and ended up attracting the attention of celebrity chef and Ace of Cakes star Duff Goldman, who offered via Twitter to bake them a tricked-out cake free of charge. "I saw this story and I was like, 'Wait — I can do something, there's injustice involving a cake!'" Goldman told HuffPost Live.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
Subscribe to the Week